image from Becky's Greenhouse
Good morning, I can’t believe that the temperature at 9:30 AM is 39 degrees. High today in the 50’s. Partly cloudy but there is a wind. ALL I can say is enjoy. This is December in Iowa and it will change. I have been working on end of the year bookwork. Plant order for next spring. And of course, getting piles taken care of in the house after not being here for 6 months. It is never boring here and always something to do just like at your house.
Busting the Christmas Poinsettia toxicity myth by Catherine Boeckmann
Are poinsettias poisonous to cats? Let’s lay to rest once and for all the popular myth that poinsettias are dangerously poisonous to pets—or people.
Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Pets?
While sometimes hyped up as deadly poisonous plants, poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) plants are only mildly toxic to cats and dogs.
Poinsettias are members of the genus Euphorbia, which includes many plants known for a white, milky, latex sap that contains chemicals called diterpenoid euphorbol esters and saponin-like detergents. When animals ingest poinsettia leaves, they may show mild signs of drooling and mild vomiting. Skin irritation can occur from the white milky sap, too. In general, medical treatment is rarely needed.
This is NOT to say that you should go feeding your cats and dogs poinsettia leaves daily, but rather that if Fluffy takes one bite out of a leaf, you shouldn’t feel the need to rush her to the nearest veterinarian ER!
Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Humans?
What about people? Thanks to an urban legend that began circulating in the early 1900s, it’s commonly believed that poinsettia leaves are toxic enough to kill a small child. Years ago, researchers at Ohio State University fed huge quantities of poinsettia parts to rats, and no ill effects were seen. A 50-pound child would have to eat 500 leaves to replicate their test. (That said, people with latex allergies can be sensitive to the milky sap and should be careful when handling the plants to avoid a rash.)
Still, it’s best not to have animals or children eating plants since the sap can cause a mildly upset tummy and skin irritation. Keep plants out of reach, but don’t treat them like poison ivy.
Fortunately, poinsettia leaves have such an awful taste that animals and children will likely have difficulty eating large amounts of them!
Similarly, holly and mistletoe are toxic to children and pets. They will induce vomiting and diarrhea—and can even be fatal in large quantities.
Taken from https://www.almanac.com/are-poinsettias-poisonous-cats
Till next time this is Becky Litterer, Becky’s Greenhouse, Dougherty Iowa firstname.lastname@example.org 641-794-3337 cell 641-903-9365