Final sale of the season coming soon!
1.When planting containers for gardening, it is a good rule of thumb to buy a container that is one or two sizes larger than the container the plant is in when you purchased it. This allows the plants plenty of room to grow and the roots to get really healthy in its' new home.
2. There is no wrong way to do container gardening, or in fact any gardening but just some ways are better for different things about gardening. JUST plant as experience is the best teacher when it comes to gardening.
3. The smaller the container just plant the same plants in them and add more containers together for design, color, texture as a grouping.
4. Thriller, Filler, Spiller marketing campaign by Proven Winners - a grower that has developed plants along with a great marketing plan.
5. When planting containers, pots and baskets please don't use your garden dirt as it is too heavy for the roots to take off. You need some media that will make the roots grow quickly. Also if the dirt is too heavy, water will not drain properly and it will sit in the container and be too hard on the roots. Good drainage is very important.
6. In gardening it is very important to know how much sun the container, basket or garden will get during the daytime. Then you will use plants that go according to that amount of sunlight. This is the most important element for the success of your garden and plants continuing to grow.
7. Container gardens are temporary, with most people using them for decorative, short lived displays (4-6 months). Since most people want quick results, plant as close as you can in your containers. And yes, they live and flourish. One mantra of experienced container gardens is "Jam them in", which is easy once you get the hang of it.
8. Biggest job you will have is the watering of your container or basket. It is so different than having plants in your garden with using rain water. Containers and baskets will dry out sooner than the garden, so you need to be checking them daily and in very hot weather might be twice a day. When the soil is dry to the first knuckle when you put your finger in, then it is time to water.
9. Deadheading down to the first set of leaves. So for example, geranium the bloom then you follow the stem down to the first set of leaves, that is to the plant, so take off the stem there.
So rain is done for a couple of days. It is cool out but still good for gardening. When the sun shines the gardeners will come. When the gardeners come they will see lots of color on the flower racks. Large variety of color and selection of plants. "Largest selection in North Iowa one gardener told me." I will take pictures of the color on the racks, but a pictures can't tell it all. Come and have a look.
Happy Mother's Day to all my gardeners. I work today but share Mother's Day with all my gardeners that are MOM'S. When the sun shines, the gardeners come, so looking forward to this weekend and hope the sun shines. When the gardeners come, they will see that the second load of perennials came. We are now up to 4 long trailers full of perennials. HAVE a good day....Happy Mother's Day.