1. The biggest job to do now and for you to think about is watering deeply trees and shrubs that you planted this year. Even with all the rain we had, the top soil might be getting low so keep the roots happy, you will have a happy tree or shrub next spring.
2. Keep watering your holiday plants and give them plenty of light.
3. Check houseplants and any plants you brought indoors for the winter, for insects that may have hitched a ride. With the heat on, they can multiply quickly.
4. Also check any bulbs, corms, tubers and bare root plants for dessication or rot.
5. Start eating those stored vegetables and think about planting more winter squash next year.
6. Feed the birds.
The list is shorter than most months, but it is also fall and a time of rest from the gardening. What am I doing? With help, finish up the last of the racks to pack away for next year. Now I need to keep the plants inside the greenhouse watered, and all the trees and shrubs well watered till it freezes. I have to work on the plant order for next year which are 150 pages long in a font that is 4 size( very small). Many, many plants to choice from....With help for Larry, they got the plastic walls up in the greenhouse that we heat all winter long, we only heat 1/3 of it. Larry got the doors in for those walls, and dirt from outside. We still have one greenhouse with shade cloth, till it cools down it keeps the temperature inside very nice, and not too hot.
For some of you, you realize that this is only one job I do for our business. Larry has a automotive repair shop and has been doing this for over 40 years. I do all the bookwork, help with running after parts when I am not in the greenhouse full time, answer phone, help him find information about repairs on the computer. The office we have for all of this, greenhouse and shop are in the house, so in the process of arranging a better area for me to work. So don't worry I am not without things to do, and don't find the weeks go by slowly with the tremendous list of work I have to get done. With that I better get to work on that LIST. Till next time, this is Becky Litterer from Becky's Greenhouse, Dougherty Iowa