the Knight's Unforgettable Story
Even though today's world is computerized, downsized, oh-so modernized and sometimes dehumanized, most people still get a bit sentimental about Valentine's Day and that calls for flowers. Either fresh blossoms or flowery verses. Bouquets appear on executives' desks and on kitchen tables and are pictured on expensive greeting cards and on crayoned notes made b hand with construction paper.
Well, according to a sad but romantic legend, A German knight once picked a bouquet of blue flowers for his beloved as they walked along a river bank. As he turned to give her the bouquet, his foot slipped, he fell into the river and just before he drowned, the threw the flowers to her and shouted, " Forget me not." And that tragic tale led to this old Valentine verse:
The Lady Fair of the Knight so true
Remembered his helpless lot,
And she cherished the flowers of brightest hue
And braided her hair with the blossoms blue
And called them Forget-Me-not.
The story is sad but it gave this little blue flower a name that no one can forget!
Lord, lord what a time of year this is, watching for a groundhog to stick his nose out and predict the weather and enjoying gifts of hot house bouquets and flower phrases. We gardeners are always watching the weather, too, wondering when to weed, feed or seed. And in cold February, we are already looking forward to our own homegrown bouquets and the flowery compliments we just might get as a reward for our carefully tended patches of earth. thanks, Lord, for such warm thoughts on such cold days.
See how you do with this Valentine's Day Quiz
1. Candy hears have been around since the Civil War. True or False
2. Valentine's day is always celebrated in March. True or False
3. Flowers are given as a sign of love on Valentine's Day. True or False
4. Cupid lies to shoot shamrocks. True or False
5. Cupid was the son of Venus. True or False
6. We celebrate Valentine's Day every year on the 17th. True or False
7. A box of chocolates is a popular Valentine's gift. True or False
8. There are many different stories about how Valentine's Day Began. True or False
9. Valentine's Day is only celebrated in the United States. True or False
10. Venus is the goddess of love. True of False
Enjoy your day...treat your sweetheart and hope you are treated too. Till next time, This is Becky Litterer from Becky's Greenhouse Dougherty Oh yea looking for the answers they are in the next post.